We would like to invite people to VAI’s Living Room at 22nd Street and Make yourself at home.This brand-new “living room“ mainly focuses on cozy, functional, practical, durable, green and low-cost spaces, because it is an institute as well as home for fellows, members, participants and audiences of public architecture and civic life.
WHAT WE DO TO THE “LIVING ROOM“
– Re-organize circulation flows
– Consider possibilities for future developments and program changes
– Re-connect office and store/gallery space – Provide accessible design for both ground floor and cellar plan
– Make discussion area easy to convert into audience space for dialogues, new releases in books, exhibition debuts and lecture use anytime
We are maximizing program, uses and flexibilities. We provide:
– A storefront bookstore with movable shelves
– Full height exhibition space and extended cellar gallery/workshop
– A “Runway” ,framed by lightweight and movable bookshelves and outlined by floor
-recessed linear lighting fixtures and down lights, connects all ground floor area as well as brings the back gallery space to the front
– A mini-theater/semi-private media room
– of course, every living room comes with an additional media/entertainment space!
– A group discussion corner/ lecture area/dialogue podium
– A loft space with additional sitting area and ceiling bookshelves
– yes, we open up every piece of Living Room!
– A gallery-linked office space
– Sufficient and classified storages and closets – Accessible everywhere
We are taking advantage of the north oriented “tunnel” space:
– Keep ceiling and floor as free as possible, invite lightweight book hanger units – Channel in/bring in natural lights and effectively utilize artificial lighting
– Mirror and contain lights indoors, especially concave mirror to collect lights for stairs to cellar
ENGAGEING WITH STREET LIFE
– “Runway” – easy to catch pedestrian’s eyes and interact with passersby
– bookstore customers/audience are framed on the runway when they are walking, standing, browsing books, exhibitions, listening to lectures
– Invite perspective illusion to zoom in gallery space to the front, keep gallery space as storefront as bookstore
– Open shelf books oriented towards street view
– Eco-friendly and low cost material
– Durable stainless steel tread plate sheets are used to protect floors of “Runway” and stairs
– Invite charred recycled wood floor for major bookstore and gallery space
– Express white painted/sprayed ducts and pipelines and make Full height ceiling open, lighter, brighter, easier for cleaning and maintenance.
© 2021 HCWD studio | Theme by Eleven Themes